Interview with Shekeda Holland (@Iamshekeda_)
Thank you so much for joining us! Can you tell us a story about what brought you to this specific career path?
I dream about owning my own business, and I’m sure everyone has at least thought about what it would be like to manage their own venture. I want to be an entrepreneur because it’s important to me to use my resources to strengthen my family and community.
There are so many things I love about the idea of being an entrepreneur. I love the idea of having total control over the work that I do and the impact that it has on the people around me—the people who matter most to me.
It’s so important to me that my business doesn’t just make a difference in my life but in my family’s lives as well. It’s hard for me to imagine anything more worthwhile than using our resources, our freedom, and our passions to build something that really helps people. That’s why entrepreneurship is a dream for me.
Can you share the most interesting story that happened to you since you started doing this?
The most interesting thing that has happened to me as a result of becoming an author, and podcast host are the endless opportunities that have come my way. I am always interviewing amazing and exciting people. It is the greatest feeling ever. I love it.
Which tips would you recommend to your colleagues in your industry to help them to thrive and not “burn out”?
1) Make a plan: Having a set plan for the day, week, or month will help you stay focused and organized.
2) Get enough sleep: While this may seem obvious, many are over-worked and under-rested. Lack of sleep can affect your work performance and health. So be sure to get those 8 hours!
3) Take breaks: Don’t push yourself too hard. Breaks are important to give yourself time to recharge so that you can come back even stronger than before. So whether it’s taking 10 minutes once an hour to go for a walk or planning a vacation at the end of the year, be sure to make time for rest!
4) Stay healthy: Eating healthy is just as important as getting enough sleep! Staying hydrated and eating nutritious food will help your body run better while keeping your mind sharp. Also, don’t forget to exercise regularly! This can help you burn off stress and feel energized.
5) Have fun: Most importantly, remember that life should be fun!
None of us are able to achieve success without some help along the way. Is there a particular person who you are grateful towards who helped get you to where you are? Can you share a story?
As a Christian, my support system is extremely special to me. My spiritual mom is amazing, my pastor, my sister, and my best friend.
How have you used your success to bring goodness to the world?
I believe that the best way to bring goodness to the world is by being a positive role model. I am an active member of my church and make contributions often to strengthen my community and I use my podcast as a free resource to shares tools and educate others about entrepreneurship. I also use my podcast as a tool for other women to come and share their stories.
Do you have a favorite “Life Lesson Quote”? Can you share a story of how that was relevant to you in your life?
I believe that we all have a God-Given talent that we should execute joyfully. God is so good and the moment you start smiling at the world, you’ll find the world smiling back at you The moment I shifted my perspective about life and my calling the whole world opened up to me. When I actually started to trust God and open my heart to people, miracles began to happen.
How can our readers follow you on social media?
Yes. Instagram is my favorite place to hang out virtually these days.